Thursday, January 15, 2009

So long to a friend



This is the computer that saved me.

I bought my iBook in November of 2005 with the vague notion that I’d be using it for video production. I wasn’t a savvy buyer, and it didn’t occur to me that I’d need more then 512MB of memory. Looking back on it, I’m amazed I managed to produce what I did. If a video ran over a minute and had lots of cuts (and let’s be honest, a fair amount of them do) it was a pain in the ass to edit.



Why has it been almost a year since I posted part one of
Bernard K Smith: My Part in His Downfall and have yet to produce part two? Why did I disappear for three months after posting the seven-minute marathon that was Fascist Sandwich? Why is there an unedited Bernard video from way back in September sitting on my hard-drive? In short, editing on that little machine burnt me out. I was pushing it further than it wanted to go, and towards the end it was pushing back.

That’s about to change. I finally got a new, faster machine. Once I’ve figured out how to use it, I promise I’ll be posting new stuff.

In the meantime, I bid a fond farewell to the little iBook that got me further than I ever imagined.

7 comments:

Dan said...

Sounds like a nice opportunity for a true Viking funeral or perhaps just a tip of the hat from those of us who were able to enjoy the fruits of your partnership. Cue up Neil Young's "Long may you run". Good luck with the new unit.

deltajuliet said...

"If a video ran over a minute and had lots of cuts (and let’s be honest, a fair amount of them do) it was a pain in the ass to edit."

Haha, my old OS X was like that... You do the simplest editing function and it takes like a minute + of loading.

Hope the new computer works out.

Anonymous said...

Hey Bernard, it's Martin.
Well it's a good explanation for lack of videos lately. Good luck with the new machine.

Lillie said...

Do you think you might post the video that you havent finished editing eventually?

Anonymous said...

Reading this on an old iBook.

spider.

Anonymous said...

Is your new computer a MAC again?

Sean Bedlam said...

Nothing quite like shit-arse equipment to drive The Artiste up Ze Wall! Glad yer back, mate.